Current photo by Wally Gobetz on Flickr
The bridge opened as pont du Havre. Courtesy of Collection Michel-Bazonet, Wikimedia Commons.
Connecting Ile Ste Helene and Montreal with Longueil on the south shore of the St. Lawrence, pont Jacques-Cartier opened in 1930 as the Harbour Bridge. The name was changed in 1934 to commemorate the four hundredth anniversary of Cartier's first journey up the river.