The Royal Victoria, above left, was built in 1893. To fund the construction of this free hospital on Mount Royal, money was donated by two Scottish immigrants, Lord Strathcona and Lord Mount Stephen. The architect was Saxon Snell, and the style Scottish Baronial. The Royal Vic is affiliated with McGill University, a historic site in itself. Above right, the delightful brick building that now houses the Centre d'histoire de Montreal was originally designed by Joseph Perrault and Simon Lesage and built as a firehall in 1903-4.
Below left is a portion of the enormous and attractive Bonsecours Market. This was designed by William Footner and built between 1844 and 1847. For a brief time in 1849, it housed the Parliament of the United Canadas. The Old Saint Sulplice Seminary, below right, was designed by the versatile priest Francois Dollier de Casson. This photo was taken by Dickbausch.