The Calgary Herald dates back to 1883, when it was published from a tent by a school teacher and his printer friend
when a miner lent them $500 to finance it. The printing press arrived on the first train to arrive in the city, though the transcontinental railway was still two years away from completion.
The paper began as a weekly called The Calgary Herald, Mining and Ranch Advocate and General Advertiser. In 1884, Sir Hugh Quentin Cayley, a former reporter for the New York Herald Tribune, became editor. In 1885, the now daily Herald began publishing humour and political commentary. Interesting historical highlights can be seen here.
The Southam Company bought a majority of shares in 1908, and in 1939, the name was changed to The Calgary Herald. Southam itself was bought by Hollinger in 1996 and by 2003, Southam had been absorbed into CanWest Publications. Currently, the owner is Postmedia.