The Lethbridge Herald appeared as a weekly in November 1905, just months after the Province of Alberta became part of the Canadian federation.
The first issue carried a story about the CPR survey that was going on in preparation for building The High Level Bridge, now a historic structure.
By December of 1905, an Ontario newspaperman called William Buchanan had bought shares in the Herald, and by the end of that year, he owned it. He launched the Daily Herald in 1907 and that remained a separate publication for half a century.
Buchanan was named to the Canadian Senate in 1925, but kept his paper alive through the challenges of the Dirty Thirties and the wars. After hr died, his son Hugh took over, but moved on after F.P. (Free Press) Publications took control of the company. Lethbridge's community newspaper was sold to the Thompson newspaper chain in 1980.