In 1913, construction began on the Chateau Qu'Appelle. After the Grand Trunk Railroad went bankrupt, the partially constructed hotel stood idle until the Royal Saskatchewan Museum took it over.
After the city lobbied the CPR to build one of its hotels to attract tourists, the Hotel Saskatchewan was built in 1927 in a Modernist classical design. Like the Saskatchewan legislature, the Museum and its sister hotel in Saskatoon, this building used Manitoba Tyndall stone.
As well as being a home away from home for members of the Royal Family when they visited Regina, the Hotel Saskatchewan served as the Lieutenant Governor's official residence from 1945 to 1984.
In 1993, it was designated a municipal heritage site. The "Hotel Sask" is now called the Radisson Plaza Hotel Saskatchewan, after its current owners.