Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Palliser Hotel in Calgary

Photo: 
trans-americas.com

The Palliser Hotel has a slightly different look from the Chateau-style CPR hotels. Built by the CPR and named after explorer John Palliser, this Edwardian building was designed by Montreal architects in the Chicago style.

The Palliser Hotel opened its doors in 1914. It was 12 storeys tall.

Another three storeys were added in 1929, just before the stock market crashed and ushered in the "Dirty Thirties." The Palliser remained Calgary's tallest building for almost thirty years.

The expansion and improvement of this venerable hotel has continued down the years; in 2000, it was renovated to the tune of about $28 million.

The Fairmont Palliser is now owned and operated by the luxury chain of the same name, which owns many of the historic railway hotels, including the Chateau Lake Louise, the Macdonald in Edmonton, the Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City, the Royal York in Toronto,  and the Empress in Victoria.

No comments:

Post a Comment